Do you have work you'd like to see featured at Inkwell? Or maybe you know a maker who produces great handmade items? Below is information on how to apply to be considered!
A little about us.
Inkwell Modern Handmade is a retail boutique located in the port city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, where life and weather are influenced by the tides of the North Atlantic. The store has been operating in downtown Halifax since 2011. It is a curated showcase for hundreds of artists to share and sell their handmade work from inside our brick and mortar walls, and online to the world.
The relationships we build with artists and makers is important to us. Our consignment model gives artists in our inventory equal placement, and we take pride in prompt payment, with reports of sales. We choose this model to give us, and our customers, access to work from many different creators at different parts of their artistic journey. We're here to support the dreams of the maker community, to provide a venue to showcase and build an audience, and to properly compensate artists for their work, helping them do what they love to do!
Inkwell is always working to be a welcoming, inclusive and supportive space. The talent of the local and international maker community is infinite, and those who identify as BIPoC, LGBTQ+, Disabled and any minority groups are encouraged to apply. Representation matters!
Some things we look for:
- use of colour
- accessible and fair prices (on par with similar items and covering your costs)
- small batch + independent (not mass produced)
- originality (your own spin/pattern, etc)
- your product(s) fit with our vision and current inventory
- quality / uniqueness of your product(s) and packaging (if applicable)
We encourage you to peruse our website and social media to get a feel for whether we may be a good fit!
Products of interest:
- Seasonal/Holiday (Spring/Summer theme, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day) gifts, ornaments, greeting cards
- Art prints and paper goods (greeting cards, calendars, etc.)
- Modern paper craft (quilling, paper sculpture, paper cuts, hand lettering and calligraphy, etc.)
- Ceramic functionware (pottery with illustration, graphics, images, text)
- Glassware (stained glass, screenprinted functionware)
- Home goods (linens, pillows, clocks, etc.)
- Bath + Body (toiletries, candles, perfume, deodorant, lip balm, etc.)
- Baby (onesies, bibs, shoes, toys, etc.)
- Jewellery/Jewelry/adornments (earrings, necklaces, rings, bracelets, brooches, etc.)
- Accessories (scarves, tote bags, purses, wallets, pouches, etc.)
- Pantry (non-refrigerated foods, chocolates, candy, preserves, etc.)
- Other items will be considered if they complement products that are carried
Please note, we do not carry:
- Clothing (exception: baby onesies)
- Original paintings
Inkwell reviews every submission and successful applicants will be contacted by email. If Inkwell and your products are a good fit, we will be in touch to discuss terms and product delivery. We kindly request no phone calls, direct messages or walk-ins.
Ready to apply? Use this form!
Thank you for your interest in having your work carried in Inkwell and good luck!